2014 Year In Review
December is usually a polarized month for businesses. If you’re in retail, things are hectic; for the majority of other businesses, December often slows to a crawl. This article is aimed at those of you ducking out of the office to do Christmas shopping, and generally spending December with visions of sugarplums dancing in your head. Christmas is awesome, but there will be time enough to celebrate. You know it’s going to be slow, so instead of dwelling on a lack of business, why not take an introspective look at 2014 and couple it with a peek into the future?
Be honest in your self-assessment. Did your business execute on its digital marketing strategy in 2014? What worked and what didn’t? What steps can you take in order to do better marketing in 2015?
At WSI, 2014 was all about helping businesses and marketers do things the right way. The digital space is complex because there’s more than one way to execute a strategy or tactic. In 2014, we focused on teaching people how to avoid common marketing mistakes and take advantage of tactics that could launch them ahead of their competitors.
We believe that if you tuned in for our monthly videos, webinars, whitepapers and blog posts, you are in great shape to do exceptional digital marketing in 2015. However, in case you missed our best stuff, here’s a quick rundown of the top digital marketing mistakes to avoid and some resolutions you can actually stick to for the coming year.
[youtube width=”560″ height=”315″]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMW0Hbxnges[/youtube]
Digital Marketing Mistakes To Avoid:
● Remaining Stagnant: if there’s one thing we stressed in 2014, it’s the need to embrace change. A great way to ensure your business keeps moving is by implementing AdaptiveSEO™, a new and agile method of search marketing.
● Wasting Marketing Dollars: with so many tactics and strategies competing for your marketing dollars, it’s easy to throw your budget down the drain. Throughout 2014, we talked about how to prevent the pitfalls of a leaky-bucket PPC campaign and conversely, how much value there is in social ads.
● Company Focused Content: more companies are buying in to content marketing, which is great. But the influx of marketers deploying content strategies also means an increase in common content marketing mistakes. The fewer mistakes you make, the more successful you’ll be.
Simple Resolutions For 2015:
● Get Mobile: as a society, we’re heading down an increasingly mobile path, so prepare for the future by monitoring consumer technology and creating the content for your on-the-go consumers.
● Get Agile: don’t be afraid to take risks and try new things in 2015 (like display ads, for example). Making an uncomfortable move is better than standing still.
● Commit And Don’t Quit: show your customers how much you love them and never ever stop. It makes all the difference.
We’ve only skimmed the surface of the digital marketing resources we produced in 2014. Visit our resources section and blog for more valuable content. If you’re looking for help and guidance in planning your 2015 digital marketing strategy, get in touch with a local WSI Consultant today!
I think a fully integrated digital marketing strategy would be a beautiful thing, but as a small business owner, I just don’t have the time or budget. If I can only focus on one area of digital marketing in 2015, what do you recommend?
You almost answered your own question. It’s impossible to recommend one digital marketing tactic over another since it totally depends on your business, your target audience, and your strengths as a marketer.
Short of hiring an expert, the key is something you said yourself: stay focused on one tactic. As we said above, commit and don’t quit. If you only have time to write (or the budget to outsource) one blog post a week, stick to that plan for a full year. It’s the only way to generate enough real data to measure your results.
Whether it’s gaining a following on social media, attracting a YouTube audience, or revamping your website so it’s mobile-friendly and responsive, the tactic or strategy you choose matters less than completing the task. Being great at one digital marketing tactic is much more beneficial than being mediocre at five.
To give your company’s digital marketing a flying start in 2015, contact WSI Thames in w/b 5th January 2015.
If you’re quick, your company could be one of the five enjoying our Small Business Saturday ‘buy 2 get one free‘ offer.