The first UK based Small Business Saturday took place in 2013 and was launched by the UK Government. It is an idea which has been running in USA for several years. Three key false perceptions last year were that:
- ‘small’ implied ‘micro’ but actually it includes companies with turnover up to £10 million per year
- it is solely about B2C retailers because it is on what is traditionally the biggest shopping day of the year (first Saturday in December). But December is also a time when B2B companies are planning the following year and hence a good time to make some offers to stimulate sales of services and products to businesses
- initiatives must be one day only. The idea is to stimulate business by focus on that day, e.g. an offer could start on 6th December and run for 2 weeks.
WSI Thames is offering to run two 90 minute events in mid-November, to help companies plan what they are going to do for Small Business Saturday – one in Marlow for Marlow Chamber members only and one in High Wycombe for any other local companies. Please let Tony Thornby know, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to attend one of these events .
Now click your way through the official event slides below and get enthused about your company taking part this year
The following is an extract from a pdf ‘Small Business Saturday UK Terms and Conditions 2014’ that can be found on SmallBusinessSaturdayUK.com:
“Small Business Saturday® is a movement founded by American Express to celebrate and support small businesses.
Small is Big (Small is Big) is an independent Community Interest Company responsible for running the Small Business Saturday® initiative in the UK (the Campaign).
Small is Big encourages organisations to support Small Business Saturday® 2014 and help get the word out about the day.
In order to promote the Campaign, marketing materials are available to download from this website including, without limitation, window posters/headlines (physical and on-line), till stickers, digital banners and logos, and social media posts (the Marketing Materials) to enable Eligible Small Businesses to join in the Campaign and supplement their own marketing initiatives.
You should only download and use the Marketing Materials if you are a small business which means you fall within the following criteria:
- your turnover (for all outlets and other business locations within the UK) for the 2013 calendar year must have been ten million pounds (£10,000,000) or less; and
- you must not be:
- involved as a principal course of business in the manufacture, promotion or sale of pornography, sexual aids, firearms or other weapons; or
- involved with the promotion or advocacy of any sensitive or controversial topic, or otherwise participate in activities that we determine to be inconsistent with the values of Small Is Big or American Express (an Eligible Small Business).
By downloading the Marketing Materials from this website, you agree to be bound by the terms contained in this licence (the Licence) to use the the Small Business Saturday® trade mark (EU011124997) (the Trade Mark) owned by American Express Marketing & Development Corp of 200 Vesey Street, NY-01-49-12, New York, US, 10285-4900 (AMEX) to support the Campaign.
AMEX reserves the right to modify the terms of this Licence at any time. AMEX will indicate that changes have been made by updating the “Last Modified” date above. Your continued participation in the Campaign after the Licence has been modified constitutes”